How to Get Here
The Fraser River Discovery Centre is located just east of the River Market at the New Westminster Quay on Quayside Drive.
We recommend coming by transit.
- Take the Expo Line or the Millenium Line to New Westminster
- Travelling from Surrey? Take the Expo Line to Waterfront or the Millennium Line to Waterfront and get off at New Westminster Station;
- From the New Westminster Sky Train platform, go down the stairs and exit via 8th street. Turn right and head toward the river. Cross at the first set of traffic lights and take the pedestrian overpass. We're located on the river side of the train tracks.
- Call Translink at (604) 953-3333 or visit www.translink.ca for Sky Train schedules and fares.
If you choose to come by bus or car: There are a limited number of parking spaces available at the Fraser River Discovery Centre. School buses may park outside the Administrative Entrance for the duration of the program booking.
Pay parking is available at the commercial lot east of the FRDC. The cost is $1.50 per hour or $6.50 per day and is payable by credit card or coins (bills are not accepted).
- From Highway 1: If you are travelling along Highway 1 in either direction, take the Brunette Avenue exit to New Westminster and follow Brunette until you reach Columbia Street (about 2.5km). Turn left onto Columbia and head west until you reach Begbie Street (again about 2.5km). Turn left, continue through the light, and cross the railway tracks*. The Fraser River Discovery Centre will be visible (grey and blue building). Turn left into the parking lot.
- From the Queensborough Bridge: If you are travelling north on Highway 91A, take the "20th St/Stewardson Way" exit and head east on Stewardson until you reach the fork where Columbia Street and Front Street split (about 3km). Turn onto Front Street and drive one block eat until you reach the first light. You should see the Fraser River Discovery Centre on your right. Turn right at the light, cross the railroad tracks*, and then turn left into the parking lot.
- From Kingsway: Head southeast down Kingsway, continuing through the light at 10th Avenue where Kingsway becomes 12th Street. Keep going down 12th Street until it joins Stewardson Way (about 1.8km). Turn right onto Stewardson Way and head east until you reach the fork where Columbia Street and Front Street split (about 0.5km). Turn onto Front Street and drive one block east until you reach the first light. You should see the Fraser River Discovery Centre on your right. Turn right at the light, cross the railroad tracks*, and then turn left into the parking lot.
- From the Patullo Bridge: If you are travelling north on the Pattullo Bridge, take the "New Westminster/City Centre" exit immediately after the bridge. Keep right at the fork in the ramp and merge onto Royal Avenue. Continue along Royal Avenue until you reach 6th Street and then turn left. Go down 6th Street until you reach Columbia Street. Turn right onto Columbia Street, proceed two blocks, and turn left onto Begbie Street. The Fraser River Discovery Centre will be ahead and to the right of you. Cross the railroad tracks* and follow the road to the right. Turn left into the parking lot.
*BLOCKED BY A TRAIN? There is an overpass at McInnis Street.
See map for details: click here.
At Begbie and Front Street, turn right instead of crossing the tracks. At the next light, turn left back onto Columbia Street. Drive west to 10th Avenue. Turn right onto 10th Avenue, go 1/3 of the way around the round-about, and exit onto Carnarvon Street. The overpass is the next right. After the overpass, turn right onto Quayside Drive. Travel along until you pass the River Market and you will be able to see the Fraser River Discovery Centre.
The Fraser River Discovery Centre is wheelchair accessible and has full washroom facilities.